The Capital District Regional Planning Commission leads and supports economic development activities. We primarily serve communities in Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga, and Schenectady Counties. We also support larger regional programs such as the Capital Region Foreign-Trade Zone. Businesses located in any of our 10-county service area in Upstate New York around the Capital District may qualify for the program.
We work with local and regional stakeholders and partners to foster a positive climate for growth and prosperity. CDRPC’s team can assist you with:
- Reducing barriers to foreign trade with the Capital Region Foreign-Trade Zone;
- Conducting economic and fiscal impact analysis;
- Researching key market and community data; and,
- Applying for economic development grant and loan programs.
History of success for regional opportunities
Economic development is one of the longest-standing programs at CDRPC. With more than 50 years of experience, we lead the regional effort “to guide the economic prosperity and resiliency of an area or region.” This experience includes more than 30 as the region’s designated federal Economic Development District. Some of the federal investments that CDRPC has been able to assist with include:
- A $1.5 million EDA Economic Adjustment grant to Hudson Valley Community College for the expansion of its Advanced Manufacturing Technologies training facility in 2017.
- A $116,667 EDA grant to the University at Albany, SUNY to establish the Cybersecurity Innovation and Research Center for University-Industry Technologies (CIRCUIT) in 2016.
- A $1 million EDA Public Works grant to the Port of Albany to purchase and install a heavy lift crane in 2001 for which CDRPC prepared the pre- and full-applications in 2001.
- A $1.4 million EDA Public Works grant to the Village of Green Island for rehabilitation of Cohoes Avenue in 2001.
- A $275,000 EDA Public Works grant for construction of the Schenectady County Community Business Center.
For more information, contact:
Sean M. Maguire, MPA AICP AZS
Director of Economic Development