New Job Opportunities with the DOS Division of Local Government
The Department of State is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Local Government Specialist 1. The individuals selected will be employed on a provisional pending examination basis in the Division of Local Government. There are currently two positions available. Applications are due June 22, 2017.
SALARY: Grade 18 ($55,494 – $70,566)
(THESE POSITIONS ARE IN THE PS&T BARGAINING UNIT)
LOCATION: 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York
The core responsibility of a Local Government Specialist 1 in the Department of State’s Division of Local Government is to function as a direct resource for local government officials, though training and technical assistance in land use planning and regulation, local finance and administration processes, and community development planning and implementation. As a Local Government Specialist 1, you will be expected to perform the following functions:
- draft and deliver training courses to local government officials on land use planning and regulations, community development, municipal operation and management, and opportunities for efficiencies in the delivery of local services;
- provide technical assistance on planning and zoning matters, operational, efficiency and municipal management, and local government consolidation to local officials;
- draft written materials to guide local officials on comprehensive planning, and land use regulation, consolidation of services, government efficiency, and other management topics;
- assist local government officials on implementing long-range planning; facilitating inter-agency cooperation; and identifying, analyzing, and proposing solutions to community development needs;
- prepare research and policy recommendations to offer resolutions to programmatic and public policy issues through the development of intergovernmental partnerships and municipal consolidation;
- promote performance measurement to assess the effectiveness of local governments;
- assist with the implementation of new policies and plans that affect New York’s local governments; and,
- manage community development and local government efficiency projects, including review of applications and administration of state contracts for the delivery of local government projects.
This position often works independently in the field and requires regular statewide travel as well as frequent evening hours.
Six years of experience in developing and analyzing policy, developing strategies, and implementing programs dealing with local government issues related to land use and comprehensive planning, service delivery, economic development or finance at a state or local level.
Substitution: An associate’s degree may substitute for two years of experience. A bachelor’s degree may substitute for four years of experience. A master’s degree or juris doctorate may substitute for five years of experience.
Please submit a cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position by June 22, 2017 to:
NYS Department of State
Bureau of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 1150
Albany, NY 12231-0001
In compliance with Public Law 99-603, candidates selected for appointment must provide original copy of documentation proving citizenship and/or legal right to work within 3 days of effective date of employment.
THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. APPLICATIONS FROM WOMEN, MINORITIES, DISABLED PERSONS AND VIETNAM ERA VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS WILL BE PROVIDED, UPON REQUEST, FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES.