Rain barrels can provide homeowners with access to free rainwater for irrigation, gardens and washing vehicles. When installed under a downspout that would otherwise drain to an impervious surface or directly to a sewer line, the barrels can help reduce combined sewer overflows and improve water quality for receiving waters. Recognizing the benefits of rain barrels, the Albany County Soul and Water Conservation District has provided CDRPC a small batch of barrels to sell at a 50% discount. Supply is limited. Contact us to purchase one or have an in person training on use and installation. If CDRPC barrels are sold out click here for District sales.
Below, find helpful resources on the benefits, installation and maintenance of rain barrels.
- City of Albany Rain Barrel Brochure
- Rain Barrel Power Point
- How To Build A Rain Barrel
- Homeowner Rain Barrel Maintenance sheet
- Rain Barrel Set-Up and Maintenance Guidance by Albany Stormwater Coalition
- Check out this handy guide on disconnecting a downspout.