The Capital District Regional Planning Commission is seeking applicants for a fulltime position as Sustainability Planner. The successful applicant will primarily work under the direction of the Director of Sustainability to carry out technical assistance and outreach tasks related to the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority’s (NYSERDA) Clean Energy Communities program. Other outreach and technical assistance tasks may also be assigned including work related to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s Climate Smart Communities Program. The position is funded for two years, after which it will be contingent on securing additional funding.
Duties under the Clean Energy Communities program will entail serving as a Clean Energy Coordinator, conducting outreach and delivering technical assistance services and guidance to communities interested in pursuing actions related to the Clean Energy Communities program. Specifically the duties will include:
- Assist local governments with understanding and completing the required actions to become designated Clean Energy Communities.
- Assist local governments in completing local greenhouse gas emissions inventories, benchmarking the energy use of municipal buildings and assisting communities in reducing greenhouse gas emissions through energy efficiency upgrades and renewable energy projects.
- Assist local governments to become Climate Smart Communities Certified.
- Assist local governments in adopting model codes and streamlined clean energy permitting processes.
- Assist communities in increasing the deployment of alternative fuel vehicles and associated fueling infrastructure.
- Conduct local on-site training and workshops to groups of interested local officials and community stakeholders on specific clean energy topics.
- Identify and connect communities with relevant clean energy programs and grant opportunities.
- Maintain information on partnerships, meetings, referrals, and other activities through regular reporting and the use Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
Minimum qualifications are a Master’s Degree in sustainability, urban planning, environmental science, geography or a related field and one year of experience, or, a Bachelor’s Degree in sustainability, urban planning, environmental science, geography or a related field, and three years’ experience. Must be personable, motivated, organized, able to work independently, knowledgeable about clean energy, climate action planning, NY State local government operations, and NYSERDA and NYSDEC climate programs; and must have strong writing, public speaking, and interpersonal skills. The position will require ongoing travel to meet with communities, including evening meetings. Driver’s license and personal vehicle required. Salary: $40,000 to $50,000, depending upon experience.
Email resumes to email@example.com with the subject “Sustainability Planner” on or before Friday, July 7, 2017.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F